In Elder Law News

The Medicaid exception refers to a transfer to a special needs trust (also called supplemental needs trust). Even after moving to a nursing home, if you have a child, other relative, or even a friend who is under age 65 and disabled, you can transfer assets into a trust for his or her benefit without incurring a period of Medicaid ineligibility. If these trusts are properly structured, the funds in them will not be considered to belong to the beneficiary in determining his or her own Medicaid eligibility. In order to be the beneficiary of a special needs trust, you need to have a disability as defined by Social Security law. For information on what is considered a disability, click here.
Special needs trusts must be structured in a very particular way and should not be done without an attorney. For more information about these trusts, go here:—5274 and also visit our SpecialNeedsAnswers Web site at There you will find a directory of attorneys who focus on special needs law. For a directory of elder law attorneys, go to:

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

Get in touch with us - we look forward to hearing from you!

Start typing and press Enter to search